January 22, 2018

7 weeks left

Dear Friends and Family,

I love you! Thanks for your support. I need it now more than ever.

Faith a principle of power and action. Faith without works is dead, but one of our (the missionaries of the great CASFM) favorite scenes in the New Testament is one where Christ says, "If thou canst believe, all things are possible." It is possible to do all the right, obedient things without believing, and when we do, miracles slow to a halt. A believing heart together with faithful works are required. 

Stories!

CASFM is working together with the Book of Mormon experiment. Google it! It's so cool! It's all about how the Book of Mormon speaks for itself. Basically we go "incognito" dressed like normal people without nametags and invite people to read a page of sacred religious text. We actually are very interested in measuring the feeling that they get from reading a random page of the Book of Mormon without knowing prior what book it is from. It has been interesting you could say. Still most people don't want to give us the time of day. Then there are people who do the experiment but aren't interested, and those who love it until they hear what book it is. 

One woman I met last week talked to me for about 20 minutes before I could get her to do the experiment. She told me that Jesus had told her that that day she would meet a woman who would talk to her about sacred things. She knew it was me, but did she want a copy of the Book of Mormon? Haha, no. Good try though. 

Another thought it was all wonderful and "recognized" the story from the Bible (This is especially popular regarding Nephi and the boat vs Noah and the arc, any time Adam and Eve are mentioned, etc.), and was all on board to let us publish her page but when I said Book of Mormon, she said, "I can do this much, but I can't sign.", and sped away. 

But then I met a Spanish YSA from Canoga Park named Raul who offered to buy me a taco(should have said yes. I'll never get to try those tacos! They're just outside my area and don't open until P day ends). He loved it and asked for the missionaries to bring him a copy. That's what we come for. That's what makes it all worth it. 

Between Saturday and Sunday Knock Outs we got kicked out of 4 apartment complexes including one young man who filmed kicking us out. I'm sure he will present it as evidence before the judge if we ever come back. But suertamente, Carlos is interested in the Book of Mormon, so we'll be invited back soon:) 

I love you guys, I miss you a lot. Have a great week!