October 16, 2017

El orgullo y la humilidad

Dear Friends and family,

Thanks for the love and support! It's truly been felt. 

Humility and pride. The universal battle between righteousness and sin. As I've studied it this week, I've learned an important lesson. Here are a few lies the devil might try to tell you, and you might believe for a while: "I'm the only one making any effort around here." "If anyone needs to change, it's him/her." "I'd be happier if my circumstances changed." "Humility means that I don't think I can make a difference." "Someone told me I was humble 3 months ago, so I don't need to work on my pride." "_______ is the mark of greatness." All of these are symptoms of pride, as is competitiveness and comparing any number of human beings to one another. Pride is anything that points our focus to ourselves. Humility is confidence that because we are representatives of Christ(which anyone who has been baptized is.), we have the power and responsibility to bless the lives of others, and doing so rather than thinking of ourselves. "Forget yourself and go to work" has never had such great meaning for me.

Stories!

Felix gave us free fruit cups because Hna F asked for "un pedacito" of pineapple. It was delicious! 

We went to Luis's 17th birthday party. It was so great:) He's such a sweetheart and it's so great to see him interact with his family. He said the prayer on the pizza in English, and when he finished, his mom looked at us and was all teary when she said, "He prayed, didn't he?" It's so great to see them thankful for us.

I went on exchanges with Hna Vincent and my mission sister, Hna Velasquez! It was a lot of fun. They are so funny and they encouraged me to open up a bit. It's nice to loosen up. It's not really natural for me, but it's a lot more fun. 

Whoops, just found this sitting in my drafts from last week. Sorry!! (so this was supposed to be last week's post!)