October 23, 2017

El Espiritu Cambia los Corazones

Dear friends and family,

I sure appreciate your love and support! Thanks for even reading this email!

I found this beautiful verse in my studies this week. D&C 12:8. I didn't memorize it or anything, but from it, we learn the importance of charity. I am re-learning a long-taught lesson. The best type of missionary work is Christlike living. A missionary without faith, hope, charity, love, or virtue isn't really a missionary, name tag or otherwise. Likewise, a person with faith, hope, charity, love and virtue is a true disciple of Christ, and every person they associate with learns a bit about the Savior. I would like to be more like that.

I'm going to try to elaborate a bit more than I have been. Storytime!

So about 6 weeks ago, maybe more, maybe less, I sent home this picture of the Orellana family. I love them! It's from our first visit with them. We don't visit very often, but they have been taking our invitation to have FHE and family scripture study. Slowly but surely, the Spirit has been changing Javier's heart. He is their non member dad, and when we visited yesterday, he told us that he wants to come to church. We watched this great video, "Patterns of Light" by David A Bednar. I really love those videos. He told us with a smile on his face that for him it's been like the rising sun, but it's finally coming from his own heart. :') I believe that he'll be baptized soon.

Last Saturday, a member invited us to have dinner at her daughter's birthday party. Usually that's not really the goal of a dinner at a membe
r's home, but we went, and we talked to her sisters-in-law. They're not members. They don't live in the mission. We chatted a bit, we shared a bit about the Book of Mormon. We offered them a copy, and one accepted. We offered to send the missionaries to her home. She accepted and gave us her info. The lesson I've learned is that it doesn't take much time to share the gospel. It can be done at a party. Sure, my setting apart gives me courage, but any of you could do the same and get the same result:) I have confidence in your ability to do this work!

I love you so much! Have a great week!
Love,
Hermana Sleight
 Desk cleaning day! Hermana M said, "I found it in my desk!"
Hermana M getting Elote (grilled Mexican corn)

Proof that the car wash was closed so they didn't get in trouble with the mission office!