January 17, 2017

Sigue el Espiritu

Dear Friends and Family, 

Thanks for all of your love and support! I am thankful for all of your prayers and support! Happy birthday Trevor Sleight and Richard Sleight! I forgot a couple of birthdays a few weeks back, and I'm sorry about those too. Happy belated birthday to Matthew and Natalie Sleight and Elder Wahe! 

This week I learned a very important lesson the hard way. It'll probably sound familiar because I learned it the easy way, but I guess it didn't stick. Missionary work is wasted time without the Holy Ghost. Everybody should be constantly seeking the guidance of the Holy Ghost, but missionaries are especially needy. This week, I tried too hard to work too fast according to my own will, and I didn't work hard enough to seek the guidance of the Holy Ghost. Who knows what opportunities I missed? Who knows which miracles I didn't work because I was too hard-hearted? Well, I repented, and I hope you'll all enjoy this story, which is the result:

The Great California San Fernando Mission (members and misssionaries) says a prayer at 3:55 every day except P day. From 4-6 all missionaries knock doors, looking for ways to serve and people to teach. We call it knock out. Most of the miracles of this mission come from knock out. Yesterday, we drove to the place we had planned to knock out. I looked up and down the street, and my prayer literally began with the words, "Heavenly Father, this is a white neighborhood!" It is not the first time we've showed up to a spot we chose by the spirit and had there be no Spanish speakers. But we got out of the car, and the man on his porch wasn't interested, but we asked which way the Spanish speakers were, and he pointed us down the hill.

We tried knocking every door on the way down the hill, but there were some kids playing ball down the street. Every missionary has a miracle story that contains that sentence. I am so excited that we skipped the houses between us and them. Finally it seemed like we should head back up, but we listened to the Spirit, and we knocked a couple more houses at the bottom of the hill. 

We found Lori. At first, she asked for the card, which usually means that someone is not interested, but she kept asking what else we had to share, what else we needed. She asked us for a Book of Mormon, said she's been looking for one in every bookstore she goes to. She asked us to tell her about Joseph Smith. The introduction to the Book of Mormon and all of the Restoration lesson later, she offered a kneeling prayer in which she expressed how much she wanted to know the truth. She is truly a humble seeker of truth. After the prayer, I identified the Spirit, and she said, pointing to the Book of Mormon, you mean if I read that, I'll feel like this??? She was so full of joy, she couldn't contain it. 

Miracles are out there. You can go find them. Use the Spirit. 

I love you all so much! I'm thankful that I get to serve the Lord with your support! Have a great week!

Love,
Hermana Sleight