October 17, 2016

El templo con Beverly

Dear Friends and Family, 

Happy Birthday to Laura on Thursday! I'm sad that I have to miss her birthday again, but I know that you'll take good care of her. She's a ray of sunshine, and she puts her best foot forward. I'm so thankful for my sister. I love you baby!

Additionally, happy birthday to Kayla Bailey, Connie Sleight, and Sydni Black on Saturday! Unfortunately, the baptism we anticipated on that day has been moved to the 29th, and I don't remember anyone whose birthday falls on that day. 

I found this scripture in my study of prayer this week: "And thou didst hear me because of mine afflictions and my sincerity; and it is because of thy Son that thou hast been thus merciful unto me, therefore I will cry unto thee in all mine afflictions, for in thee is my joy; for thou hast turned thy judgments away from me, because of thy Son." (Alma 33:11). What interesting reasons for God to hear his prayers. sincerity is a real component of prayers. I learned in the Bible dictionary that it takes more than just saying so to pray in Christ's name. Some prayers go unanswered because they are not aligned with God's will and Christ's teachings. I've also learned that prayer is like the keys to the windows of heaven. You can't just pray that they all be opened. In order to open up a window for a specific blessing, you must ask for that specific blessing. As you turn that key, the window will open. But to pray for blessings generally or repetitively will not give such a glorious result.

This week we took Beverly to the Temple Visitor's Center! I think it went rather well. On the way down, Jacob was pretty rowdy, and that makes my Spanish shut down, but he napped on the way back, and we were able to chat with Beverly. It felt really nice just to chat merrily in Spanish. She told us about how she's been to Europe, and she asked us about where in the world the work is moving rapidly. It's cool to see investigators start acting like members like that. It also felt really good to be so close to the house of God again. I didn't get to go in, but I know I am worthy to do so, and that fills me with joy.

We taught Pedro Lopez about the Word of Wisdom. Giving up coffee is going to be hard for him because he drives truck, and he gets up at 3 am to make his shift. He committed to quit though, even if it means giving up coffee a little at a time. I stand all amazed at the way the Holy Ghost can empower the hearts of men to do good. 

I love you all, and I hope you are doing well! Keep your hearts close to our Savior! 

First pic is at the temple visitor's center with Beverly and the last one is with her son, Jacob.