November 13, 2017

Sin mapa

Dear friends and family,

Thanks for the love and support! I'm thankful that you remember me:) 

I was pondering this morning losing ourselves in the work (back story: We got to the brand new area on Tuesday. They pulled a phone out of storage. No contacts, nothing. We put everything we needed on it. I lost it yesterday. :/ Record fast time for losing my phone. 5 days. Nice one, Hermana Sleight.) I was walking along with 3 other sisters, thinking about how between the 4 of us, we have one phone, and how my phone number has changed 6 times on the mission and my family hasn't had any of them. I really am not myself here. In a perfect world, I would be 100% a representative of Jesus Christ, and Carmen would just disappear for 18 months. Thanks for not forgetting me.

Stories! 

Hermana Maw is from Rexburg and I like her a lot. We opened this new area, but it has a lot of investigators already in it, which is awesome. We started with no map, no phone charger, no binder to put our new area book in, no proselyting materials, etc. Plus, you know me, I had lost my planner at transfer meeting. But we drew our own map! Our leaders helped us get by on materials, including a new planner for me, we got the phone number for the bishop, and boom! We're working. We love it here!

I finally got started on that goal I mentioned 2 general conferences ago, memorizing the Living Christ in Spanish. I am fascinated by it! His name is so much more frequently on my mind and lips. I encourage you all to do the same in the language of your choice.

God has not yet taken away the great sense of direction He has blessed me with, even though he has taken away my ability to remember names and faces. With a hand drawn map, I've figured out the area pretty quick. Twice now, we have gotten onto our bikes, and I have told Hna Maw where the name of the next person we were going to visit, and then refused to tell her anything else. She gets kind of frustrated, but she kind of likes the challenge I think:) Both times we had to backtrack a bit, but we got there just fine. Last night on the same bike ride where I lost the phone, she got to the edge of our area, looked up at the sign, and said, "Wait, this is OXNARD??" She looked at me all mad. "You let me ride across our area?" I couldn't keep it together. It was so funny! Maybe I'm mean. We worked it out.

Love you! Have a great week!
Love,
Hermana Sleight

PS Sorry no pictures I was counting on a nicer computer with an SD card reader.